The Yorktown High School PTA (Parent Teacher Association) holds monthly meetings, usually on the second Monday of the month, at 7:30 p.m., and all families and staff are welcome. These meetings provide a forum for parents and all of our community to hear from the Principal and staff, to approve major decisions such as the budget, hear updates on various programs and services provided by the PTA, and to ask questions and converse in a community setting. This year, for the foreseeable future, PTA meetings will be held electronically, via Zoom. All families and staff are invited to join the PTA, although membership is not required to attend or to receive the weekly PTA Newsletter, which contains the Principal’s message and helpful info and links for the week.
Through funding and volunteers, the PTA supports our students, parents, and staff, via a broad range of offerings, including parent/family events and programs; expert speakers; teacher/staff grants, this time concentrating on ways to enhance virtual learning; student events and activities; grocery card and coat drives for those suffering financial hardship; the graduation/boat party; and teacher/staff appreciation. This year, a new PTA dues scholarship fund is part of the budget, as well, so that any financial difficulty will not be a barrier to membership for anyone, whether families or faculty/staff.
The PTA invites you to take advantage of any or all of the ways it offers to connect with our YHS community, and welcomes your thoughts and ideas, as well. For updates, news and more information, please bookmark our website: www.yhspta.org.
What We Do
Our PTA fulfills its mission by combining the work of incredible volunteer parents/guardians with the generous dues from those who join the PTA, and donations we receive through our No-Frills Fundraiser, to:
1. Support the work of our wonderful teachers/staff through:
- Faculty and staff grants, this fall concentrating on virtual learning
- Teacher/staff appreciation events/gifts (this fall, Dunkin Donuts gift cards to all)
2. Provide news, connection, and info through:
3. Provide parent/family events/connection/discussions:
- Family Network provides expert speakers, films, and other events
- The PTA coordinates with staff to provide other events parents/guardians might find helpful
4. Provide enjoyable student events:
- Homecoming, Spring Dance
- Other hospitality
- Graduation/Boat Party
- This year, we’re looking at what electronic events students might enjoy — please share ideas!
5. Support student expression and Achievement:
- Reflections Contest/Program; this year’s theme is “I Matter Because…”
- Art Show
- Science Fair
- SAT and ACT preparation/tests (which also raise funds for graduation party)
6. Provide direct help/support for students and/or families:
7. Provide connection beyond our school:
- Representatives to CCPTA (County Council of PTAs)
- Representatives to ACTL (Advisory Council on Teaching and Learning, formerly ACI/Advisory Council on Instruction)
- School Board Member Liaison
8. Offer other community benefits:
- YHS spirit wear
- This year, Zoom subscription for our meetings and community or group events
- Social opportunities for parents and families, even if only electronic ones for now